Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Tech Kick-off 2014

Hahaha maybe not quite as exciting as football season, but pretty darn close if you ask these 6-year-olds:



Yesterday we looked up our houses on Google Earth and traced a pathway to school using the street-view feature (sooooo cool!). In order for this to happen for everyone, each student had to practice writing, saying, and typing their address for the last two weeks--this is really challenging stuff when you're in first grade! Oh, did I mention it was all in English? We did this as part of our first unit in ESL/Social Studies, "All About Me/My Community."

It was great watching them help each other and encouraging each other not to give up when they got overwhelmed with all the typing involved--a number, a street name, and a city?? Yikes!

 
My heart. I love these kids.

They've been learning how to use the laptops to access the internet and log in to school websites for the last two weeks and...the students were able to take their 1:1 Macbooks home today! Cue 16 squealing first-graders excited about doing homework on their computers....

After the madness that was Parent Orientation Night last week and all of the behind-the-scenes work that goes into launching the school year, this week has been much more manageable and enjoyable. We are settling into our little routines like readers workshop and writers workshop, and I've even had time to do a couple of running records! Whew.





 I may just survive.


Happy Wednesday,



5 comments:

  1. Its amazing that your students each get a Macbook! I like your ideas of using them both at school and home. Looking forward to hearing more about how you used them. Hopefully I be able to use some of them on my few iPads and desktop!

    Amanda
    A Very Curious Class

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I will make sure to post ideas for your reading pleasure :)

      Delete
  2. Exciting things happening in your classroom! I'm sending you good vibes for *surviving*. ;)
    Literacy Loving Gals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colleen! I will take all the good vibes within a 100-ft radius!

      Delete
  3. What an exciting kick-off! It is sooo sweet that they were encouraging each other not to give up. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by to show some love :)