Friday, August 8, 2014

Five for the Last Free Friday!

Aaaaack! (Do you like my Cathy impression?) I am linking up with Doodle Bugs for my last free Friday...


a week from today I will be back in Teacher Institute mode!


Yesterday was Thursday, but I went through most of my day believing it was Wednesday. Ah, summer--when you can't even keep track of the days because there is no schedule! How I will miss thee. I posted a couple of "before" pics of my new classroom, which you can view here. Next week I will do the "after" shots!


Doodle Bugs mentioned that she's having a hard time sleeping this week, with all of the teacher-y to-do things that keep running through her mind, and I can totally relate! I woke up in the middle of the night and just started listing things that I still need to purchase for my classroom: plastic table cloths or gift wrap for my bulletin board backgrounds, Velcro dots, command hooks, and I can't even remember what else because it was 2 a.m.


Thank goodness for Pinterest and teacher blogs!


Feeling like the new kid on the block (not the band, although I CAN do the dance!). Kelly at I'm Not Your Grandpa talks about how she feels like a first-year teacher, moving to a new school after 20 years in the same school...now, I was at my old school for only 7 years, but I can relate. I don't know what the procedures or routines are, where things are located, etc. I think my face looks like this:


It's hard coming in to a new place and getting to know the culture, too. At my old school I was very comfortable doing things without asking because I had those relationships with my colleagues and the staff and we all respected each other. This week I almost got my head bitten off because I moved some furniture around without asking. Because it scratched the waxed finish off the 1980s tile that will be covered by tables and chairs and 15 pairs of little first-grade feet. If you are a teacher, you know what I am talking about....


This is personal maintenance/upkeep weekend! So not only do I need a haircut, new clothes, etc. Turns out my girls need to do their rituals before heading back to school too. Two teenage girls, one middle school, one high school, you do the math :)



Smells like teen spirit, indeed. Well played, Nirvana.





Speaking of shopping, I did shop the TPT sale on Monday and Tuesday! I bought some very cute stuff including:


 and


and






That's it for me, time to go open more boxes and organize more stuff.

Thanks for reading,

3 comments:

  1. Fun stuff in this post! I'm really liking the idea of using table clothes for bulletin backgrounds. Thanks for sharing, Adriana! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny! This has been the only week this summer that I have not been able to keep track of the days! Love teacher planners! Good luck learning a new school--it is stressful, so--I wish you well. :)
    Alyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. The plastic tablecloth idea is fabulous. I normally end up stapling about 20 pieces of construction paper, trying to make them even, using student work to hide the staples. Yep. This is a better idea. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by to show some love :)