Friday, August 15, 2014

Five for Institute Friday

It's 9pm, and I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs for her Five for Friday party!


Because that's how I roll on a Friday night...





Actually, I am exhausted from a very hectic week of trying to put together my new classroom! I missed my own deadline of Wordless Wednesday for my "after" pics, and I forgot to take 5 pictures today for this post. Anyway, it's not really finished yet, at least not the way that I envisioned it in my mind. But, I have 16 yummy little first graders coming on Monday morning and at the very least they will find a happy and organized classroom (if not completely decorated).




I think I'm getting sick. I know, I know, it's way too early! That's what happens when you run yourself into the ground, though. My evil plan: Sleep. All. Weekend.




(Literally, sleep and work on laptop)





On being a new teacher: I got to see my old colleagues today at the teachers' institute, and it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be. I guess that means my broken heart has healed over the summer, and it feels good to look ahead to the new school year and the possibilities that it will bring. One of my friends from my old school is pregnant, and she is beautiful. Seeing her and chatting with her helped me (re-re-)realize that life goes on, and you can't stop time. Thanks to all the Piper People for their kindness :)


(My heart, filled with love for all of my fellow teachers)



First union meeting today! Did I mention I am an officer in my local? This will be my 4th year as Secretary, and I was also a building rep for my previous school. Our new president gave the welcome at the institute day, and she reminded us that teachers do great things everyday and touch countless lives. It was a very heartfelt and honest message, and it gives me strength for the new year. Regardless of political leanings, we are all in this together and we each need to do our part in securing our collective rights for the betterment of our schools and communities. It was great to see new faces on our council this year--including the FABULOUS Michelle at Big Time Literacy


As a minority teacher, I take my activism very seriously. I know that my job is to advocate for my students and my union helps me to do that. If you also live in a state that still has collective bargaining rights, get involved in your local!



My pledge: to continue to post at least once a week on this blog. I can't wait to share what my students are doing and how they are making gains in first grade! According to the research, first grade is the most "industrious" grade in school. Six-year-olds are busy with the serious business of exploring, questioning, and learning, and this is the grade where we have to "capture" their interests and harness their enthusiasm for school. I am so excited and blessed to be able to work with this age group in my OWN classroom. Life is good, life is good.
 

(I still have to make the birdies)


Time for bed.






1 comment:

  1. I certainly hope you found time to sleep. I know that I needed to catch up, but have a ways to go. Thanks for the encouragement about unions--I don't do much, cuz I don't know much. Who's fault is that? Mine, batter change something. I wish you the best day ever tomorrow with your little firsties!!
    Alyce

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by to show some love :)