Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The College Years

Happy summer, everyone! Today it is a sizzling 92 degrees in the Chi and I am trying to stay cool by sitting in the air conditioning and sipping on some ice water (and reading teacher blogs, of course). The man's at work, the girls are at the pool, and I have some very nice "Me Time" to be able to write and link up with Michelle at Big Time Literacy:

Today's prompt is to share a story from the college years :)


To be honest, I'm starting to forget a lot of it already. I worked really hard and was involved in a lot of campus politics (angry minority, Present!) so I was always really busy. I actually ended up taking a couple of years off and working retail before I went back downstate to finish my degree. For a while there I had to commute back and forth between Chicago and Urbana (it's only about 2.5 hours) to attend meetings and tie up loose ends. ANYWAY, the story:

I was driving a 1993 Buick Skylark with like 90,000 miles on it, no A/C, no tape player, and a gas tank that did not have a warning light when it was low...so you can picture what happened next! Yup, I ran out of gas on I-57 in the middle of nowhere. I did not have a cell phone yet and I had my little brother with me along for company (he was in high school, so not that little). So I pull over and he's trying to convince me to start walking to the next town and possibly hitch-hike (ah, teenage boys and their bravery) when this huge, really shiny semi* pulls over and the driver offers me a ride to the nearest gas station.



Now, of course the first thing I think is that the driver is probably a serial killer and nobody will ever see me again, but then he mistakes my brother for my son and tells him he can come along to keep and eye on his mom! And of course my brother just wants to get it over with, so we go in the truck and it is all pimped out on the inside with a shiny entertainment system and a bed! Which freaks me out a little. And the driver starts asking me if I'm single, he's been looking for a little "señorita," etc. It sounds made up, but it's not. To wrap up the story, he drove us to the nearest gas station and then we got a ride back to my car from two random college students who were also on their way to Urbana. And I lived to tell the tale! Aaaaaand scene!

I want to send some love to Alyce at Mrs. Bartel's School Family for jogging my memory about accepting a ride from a stranger! I really had repressed this memory, and I never told my parents! Shhhhhh....

So, what's your hitch-hiking adventure? Please share with me!



7 comments:

  1. Yikes, I don't think I could ever hitch-hike. I'm such a scaredy cat when it comes to the unknown. I watch too much Dateline and 20/20!! ;) Thanks for sharing your story. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness he wasn't a serial killer! Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my fave part is how you described the inside of the truck as being pimped out. love the authentic voice and your pics, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard to remember how we functioned at all before cell phones and Google!
    Deb
    Not very fancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! I have always been too afraid to hitchhike!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by to show some love :)