Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Reflections On My Teaching Life (so far)

I almost didn't make the deadline, but it is still Day 2 of Big Time Literacy's blogging challenge for the month of July!

Today's prompt is to reflect on my role in education, which I have been doing a lot of lately. I didn't always want to be a teacher, in fact it never even cross my mind to take an education class in college. I was a poli sci major at U of I and I was going to be a civil rights lawyer. Then I found that I loved doing research and writing so I switched my major to history, and I was going to be a history professor. My goal was academia. But I was so involved in the politics of college (a Latina from Berwyn in all white military history boys' scene, advocating for more Latino faculty members for our ethnic studies programs, protesting the Native American mascot, etc.,) that I got burnt out on academe. I was tired of school, so I worked a mindless job in retail (I was also a barista) and I just chilled for a few years. Sometimes you need that.

Then I started subbing to make extra money...and I fell in love with elementary school! I loved the excited looks on children's faces as they entered the school in the morning. I loved the smell of sharpened pencils. I loved the laughter and chatter and noise of the hallways as we switched classes. And I realized that this was my place! I had finally found what I wanted to be when I grew up! So I went back to school and became a bilingual education teacher. This will be my eighth year in the same district, although at a new school. I'm excited to meet my new first graders and have new adventures this fall, and I hope to record some of that here!

Thanks again to Michelle for pushing me to write and giving me the inspiration to start this blog!

2 comments:

  1. so cool when you realize you have found your calling! glad it's in education and with BSD100!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cool to know that about you. I'm glad you ended up with us in BSD100. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by to show some love :)