Friday, July 18, 2014

5 for Friday and BTL Challenge

Happy Friday everyone! It's Friday, we just got paid-it's Friday, we just got paid! (And it's already been spent)

Today I am linking to Michelle at Big Time Literacy for her July blogging challenge:
And also linking up to Doodle Bugs Teaching for her super-fun weekly 5 for Friday:


Today's challenge is to write about my favorite teacher must-haves for the beginning of the new school year (which is only 4 weeks away!)

1. 


I love using Composition Books with my students because they are so much neater and compact than regular spiral notebooks (which can actually become hazardous as the year goes on and the metal spiral starts to come loose and stab little fingers when they are searching inside their desks!)
Every year around this time you can find them for $1 a piece at different stores--I definitely stock up and hand them out during the year.

2. An electric pencil sharpener! So far all the blogs I've read have stressed how awesome pre-sharpened pencils are, and I totally agree :) But, inevitably, kids have to sharpen their pencils at some point during the week and I HATE the manual sharpeners that are installed in our classrooms. Right now I've got my eye on this bad boy from Amazon. I've been trying different brands, but I find that they don't last more than 1.5-2 years in elementary school...

3. Multi-color eraser caps for when you still have a perfectly good pencil but the eraser has a.) fallen off  b.) been worn down c.) been chewed off by the 6 year-olds or d.) all of the above. I give these out like candy (because I don't give out candy) and kids get so excited to have a different color than their neighbor!

4. 


 Even though my district requires electronic lesson plans, I still like to use a lesson plan book/teacher notebook to keep track of my ideas, quickly plan out the next week, and make notes on how each day went and what I need to tweak for the next day. Right now I have this cute Spanish bilingual planner from Bilingual Classroom Resources in my cart at TPT. She has them in English too!

5. A positive attitude! Every year I come back recharged from summer break and ready to get to work on the serious business of teaching little ones. We do very important work, my friends, and it is thankless, and it is stressful, but it is the greatest job that anyone could ever have. I love being a teacher!

I hope you enjoyed reading my list; please share yours with me in the comments!

Cheers,



6 comments:

  1. So my check is definitely already spent too. crazy how it comes in and then goes out, right? I also love composition notebooks - they were 50 cents at walmart last week! Such a steal! And I, like you, also like a real notebook/plan book. that one you found is super cute!
    So glad you linked up today! I always look forward to reading your blog! :-)
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. {contented sigh} you just totally made my day by saying that, Michelle! Baby steps with trying to find the time to write, but so worth it.

      Delete
  2. One thing I did this year that really helped with the pencil issue was The Great American Pencil Challenge. You can read about it here http://www.ladybugsteacherfiles.com/2013/04/the-great-pencil-challenge-managing.html . It was a tremendous success in my 1st grade room last year. It even helped with the erasers! I love composition notebooks and I totally agree with you that spirals can be dangerous! I caught some on sale at Big Lots for $.48 each last week. I love finding a good deal!
    I loved number 5... a good attitude, it is essential to have one to be a good teacher!
    Kelly
    I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check out the great pencil challenge ;)

      Delete
  3. I love that you included a positive attitude on your list. This is so important - a foundation for everything we do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue. The key is keeping up the positivity around March!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by to show some love :)